Friday, February 10, 2006

Humanist Principles

I affirm humanism as a realistic alternative philosophy to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in service to others.

I deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, to seek to explain the world in supernatural terms, and to look outside of nature for salvation.

I am committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.

I believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.

I am committed to the principle of separation of church and state.

I am concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.

I attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, nationality, creed, class or ethnicity and strive to work for the common good of humanity.

I want to protect and enhance the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.

I believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.

I believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.

I respect the right to privacy. Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health care, and to die with dignity.

I am deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. I want to nourish reason and compassion.

I am engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.

I believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that I am capable of as a human being.

I believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stardust said...

What a great world this would be if people followed these principles instead of religious dogma.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your comments are appreciated.

Friday, February 10, 2006 9:10:00 PM  
Blogger Dan Nerren said...

These principles would make a vast improvement over the Ten Commandments. I am tempted to print up a big batch of flyers of this statement and pass them out publicly somewhere.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 1:03:00 AM  
Blogger vjack said...

Thanks for the link. I'm returning the favor by adding you to my blogroll. I can't believe I'm only just now discovering your blog. I'll also be adding you to my RSS reader so I can follow what is happening here. Keep up the good work!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 6:54:00 AM  
Blogger Rusko Elvenwood said...

Thanks vjack!

Dan, notice that I edited the principles to be more personal. I changed the word We to I. This helps me identify more responsibly to these statements. I think making fliers is a great idea. Personally I would like to create an array of humanist 'tracks' like the ones with which the christians polute my world.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home