Friday, May 19, 2006

How To Eat A Mango

"If the same verse keeps repeating we must be stuck in a groove. Or, if we are stuck in a groove we will keep hearing the same verse."

I love the smell and taste of a plump fresh mango. But for most of my life I would not buy or eat them. Why? I really never thought about it. Then one day someone bought me a mango (my wife). Here's the secret.

Slice the mango length ways close to the seed. Now cut that slice half way lengthwise. Now simply peel the skin back on either side of the slice with your fingers and teeth as you eat the pulp. Now repeat the process with the other side of the mango.

Now you are left with a mango with the two sides cut and eaten. Now simply peel the skin from around the mango and eat around the seed. Not quite as simple as eating an apple but worth the effort. Now I eat mangos whenever I can.

Not much of a secret was it? I wonder how often we are held back in life because we never stop to think about what we do?

Most of what we are is the product of the genes we inherited, the behavior we observed from our parents, and our experiences as we grow and mature through life. If we eat something and then get sick, we may never eat that food again even though it had nothing to do with being sick. We all develop prejudices that hold us back from experiencing life to its fullest.

Life can be seen as overcoming the prejudices we are taught by our parents, our experiences, our friends, our governments, the media, our church and in fact by nearly everything in our existence. How do we overcome this training? Be open to learning to eat a mango.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rusko Elvenwood said...

It is through experimentation and exploration of life that we can determine what we like and dislike. You wouldn't know if you prefered tangerines to mangos if you hadn't at least tried both. You didn't take someone's word that mangos aren't as good as tangerines until you have investigated for yourself.

I have yet to try saki and sushi but something tells me that I will need quite a bit of saki before I try the sushi. I'm looking forward to the experience.

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home