Monday, September 04, 2006

Statue of WHAT?

No, this $260,000 symbolic statement does not offend me. I'm not offended by this grandiose expression of one’s worldview. I find it rather amusing. People really believe that the United States was founded on Christian principles. The name of the idol is The Statue of Liberation Through Jesus Christ. That is funny to me. Our founders were escaping Tyranny and Religious Persecution when they came to America. I’ve learned by reading up on this news story, the original Statue of Liberty has been copied and altered in many other countries. So it’s not a particularly original idea. I would probably erect a much less expensive and not so grandiose statue and name it The Statue of Liberation From Jesus Christ. I would claim that it is a reminder to me that my fore fathers and my father’s father, and my father have fought to keep this country free from religious persecution.

The framers of the Constitution fought amongst themselves while deciding what exact words would attract people of all religions to agree on matters of law and government. They were very careful not to embed any symbolism of religious nature in their document. I think if anyone had suggested that we found this country on one religion’s set of ideals, Ben Franklin would have politely asked you to reconsider.

Amusing. Yes, I do hope no one gets too offended by the actions of Americans expressing their opinion. I will fight to the death defending the right of a man to erect a statue that states anything he wants it to, even if I disagree with most of it.

Article Fer It Article Agen It ‘nother good article

1 Comments:

Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

Ok, I am really scared now. That statue is supposed to represent liberty and freedom for ALL, not freedom to be a religious nut.

What this means for us, (as we seem to end up with everything that you guys try out), is a sydney harbour bridge with a large kangaroo atop it, with a cross hanging out of its pouch. ;)

Might be time for me to move to New Zealand!

Thursday, September 07, 2006 6:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home